Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beyond the Reflections's Edge review


I first received this book as a pre published edition straight from the author and I must confess.. never did I expect for this book to be even more riveting than DIOM. For me what even amazed me more is Mr. Davis seamlessly combines high packed action sequences, deep characters, and wonderful spiritual messages without speaking down to the reader. Even better was that any of the spirituality never came off as preachy. Once a book can show a message and not just preach it, that's when you know you are a writer. What your English teachers have always told you is rather true, show don't tell is much more effective. I must say during the bitter cold months of winter, with all the turmoil of my life, I became very depressed and slowly went into a slumber because of depression. Yet this book was the shining torch in the dark months of my life; it really helped me to get out of my depression and I thank god that this book was written and was shone to me at the appropriate time. For any reader out there, I full heartedly recommend this awesome book to you, for this one like the works of Madeleine L'Engle, Karen Hancock, and CS Lewis seamlessly combines wonderful character with deep spiritual messages. For any reader out there, this is a must buy. The only problem with the book now I must wait till October to get the next

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the great privilege of pre-reading this book. I am not allowed to spoil the surprise, so I will only say that after being enthralled by the world Bryan Davis created in Dragons in Our Midst and expanded upon in Oracles of Fire, I eagerly anticipated his new series, Echoes from the Edge. The characters, like those in his first two series, are realistic, relatable teens that readers of all ages can identify with. I see echoes of myself in Daryl, who constently alludes to and quotes from such favorite fantasies as Lord of the Rings and Narnia, as well as The Wizard of Oz.
My good intentions to read only a chapter of Beyond the Reflection's Edge daily evaporated. I read the whole book in less than four hours. The first chapter contained more emotion and action than some books ever reach. From there, the story builds in depth and action to an extraordinary conclusion. Unlike some books, Beyond the Reflection's Edge yields more excitement with each re-reading. I can't wait for the next installment!

Magma said...

you DO know people don't generally look at all the comments on all the posts on a blog they're going through right? plus if you don't know how to even look at the comments you can't really chance across them.

Anonymous said...

In most books the first few chapters are just leading up to the story and it takes a while before you get into the book. That's NOT how it is with Beyond the Reflection's Edge!
The book kicks off in the very first chapter with more action than some books ever get into and gets even better from there. Once you start reading it you won't be able to stop! Whether you find reading fun or not you will definitely enjoy this book. I was up all night reading it!